I am Soon Van
A web developer and writer from Australia, now living in Kentucky, United States.
Open to long-term web development roles as well as documentation and support roles.
- Front and backend development mainly with PHP & MySQL (mostly using Kohana MVC framework, migrating to Laravel 4)
- Working remotely with clients and teams since 2008. Independently for the most part, but have been as part of small to medium sized teams
- Creates custom management systems and websites in PHP and MySQL tailored specifically to client needs and functions
- Most time spent on modules and enhancements to osCommerce and CRE Loaded shopping carts
- Proofreader and copywriter of documentation and user guides
- Learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails
Web Application Developer
October 2014 - Current
Working remotely with a medium sized company based in Chicago, Illinois.
- SugarCRM development
Web Developer - eLink Design
April 2014 - October 2014
Working remotely with a small team of developers and programmers, based in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Team member on front end and back end development on a custom MVC framework to handle the firm's next array of sites and clients.
- Using Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery to speed up converting and styling from PDFs into online forms
- Helping debug and report on bottlenecks and refactoring as I learn how the system works
Front & Back-End Web Developer - Xenex Media
January 2008 - September 2014
- osCommerce modules, custom sites using Kohana MVC framework, one-off websites
- Remote position with client located in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Web Developer, Copywriter, Customer Service - the Comic Shop
October 2005 - August 2009
- Designed and developed custom CMS built from ground up using PHP and MySQL, then rebuilt in 2014 to use Laravel 4
- Casual in-store retail adventures behind the register, then remotely
PHP Developer - Create Studios (Part-time)
July 2006 - January 2007
- osCommerce modules, WordPress template skinning
- Both on-site in a fast-paced studio with occasional remote work
PHP Developer - Think Unthinkable (Part-time)
April 2006 - February 2007
- Campaign mini-sites, server-to-server site migrations, HTML email skins
- On-site in a busy studio agency alongside a leading advertising firm
Documentation Specialist - KPMG Australia
July 2004 - October 2005
- Using RWD Info Pak and Visio to document business procedures and user flows
- Proofreading, technical writing and documentation
- Initially as part of a small team for two months, staying on for another year
Web Developer - Little Hills of Kentucky Animal Rescue (Volunteer)
November 2011 - Current
- Design and develop KentuckyAnimalRescue.org
- Use Trello and Google Docs to co-ordinate with other volunteers
- Maintain and/or setup Petfinder profile, Facebook Page, Amazon Affiliate accounts
Technical writing, documentation, copy editing, proofreading.
Local development on WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) deploying to LAMP environments. Using Git for version control.