I am Soon Van
A web developer and writer from Australia, now living in Kentucky, United States.
Open to long-term web development roles as well as documentation and support roles.
- Front and backend development mainly with PHP & MySQL (mostly using Kohana MVC framework, migrating to Laravel 4)
- Working remotely with clients and teams since 2008. Independently for the most part, but have been as part of small to medium sized teams
- Creates custom management systems and websites in PHP and MySQL tailored specifically to client needs and functions
- Most time spent on modules and enhancements to osCommerce and CRE Loaded shopping carts
- Proofreader and copywriter of documentation and user guides
- Learning Ruby and Ruby on Rails
Web Application Developer
October 2014 - Current
Working with a medium sized company based in Chicago, Illinois.
- Application development
Web Developer - Designs
April 2014 - October 2014
Working remotely with a small team of developers and programmers, based in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Team member on front end and back end development on a custom MVC framework to handle the firm's next array of sites and clients.
- Using Twitter Bootstrap and jQuery to speed up converting and styling from PDFs into online forms
- Helping debug and report on bottlenecks and refactoring as I learn how the system works
Front & Back-End Web Developer - Xenex Media
January 2008 - September 2014
- osCommerce modules, custom sites using Kohana MVC framework, one-off websites
- Remote position with client located in Brisbane, Queensland, Australia
Web Developer, Copywriter, Customer Service - the Comic Shop
October 2005 - August 2009
- Designed and developed custom CMS built from ground up using PHP and MySQL, then rebuilt in 2014 to use Laravel 4
- Casual in-store retail adventures behind the register, then remotely
PHP Developer - Create Studios (Part-time)
- osCommerce modules, WordPress template skinning
- Both on-site in a fast-paced studio with occasional remote work
PHP Developer - Think Unthinkable (Part-time)
- Campaign mini-sites, server-to-server site migrations, HTML email skins
- On-site in a busy studio agency alongside a leading advertising firm
Technical writing, documentation, copy editing, proofreading.
Local development on WAMP (Windows, Apache, MySQL, PHP) deploying to LAMP environments. Using Git for version control.