I am Soon Van
A web developer and writer from Australia, now living in Kentucky, United States.
- Full stack web development mainly with PHP & MySQL (Kohana MVC, Laravel, Symfony)
- Working remotely with clients and small-to-medium sized teams since 2008
Application Developer - Highland Solutions
October 2014 - Current (Full-time, remote)
Part of a cross-functional agile team with a medium-sized company working on anything from direct customer support to major projects, mostly on SugarCRM. A client list ranging from health insurance, food services, finance and manufacturing. Worked across all departments and teams on a variety of projects in scope and platform tools.
- Fixed months-old nightly data import project to run from 21+ hours down to 3
- Co-create web app on ZF2 to speed up and streamline access for sales reps to relevant 10% of SugarCRM being used
- Convert legacy script into suite of classes with unit testing, email alerts and logging
- Create and share scripts in Ruby and Go to automate or speed up development and testing
- Built data sync process between SugarCRM and Orgo Sales Engine via REST API
- Added unit testing to AngularJS components and Redis data cleanup to SugarCRM-based web app
- Create Lumen app to generate and/or extract reports from SugarCRM in real-time and nightly turns
- Create bash shell script to handle batch import of 1,000,000 rows into SugarCRM
- Manage and support Jira Software Cloud with streamlined configurations, workflows and Confluence documentation
- Built other REST API integrations between third-party services such as Slack, SugarCRM, Eventbrite, Jira
- Securely handle HIPAA, PII, PCI compliance and data
- Certified SugarCRM Developer Specialist
Web Developer - eLink Designs
April 2014 - October 2014 (Part-time, remote)
Working remotely with a small team of developers and programmers, based in Lexington, Kentucky.
- Assigned as lead developer for one of their anchor B2B e-commerce clients
- Debug, refactor bottlenecks and extend custom legacy CMS
- Help build and refine new version of content management system
- Direct client interaction to handle support and build requests
Front & Back-End Web Developer - Xenex Media
January 2008 - September 2014 (Part-time, remote)
Lead developer building and fixing 30+ client e-commerce and brochure sites remotely from another state and then another country for small company based in Queensland, Australia.
- Developed XML sync system for 20+ e-commerce stores to import and update inventory data
- Built osCommerce/Loaded Commerce shopping cart modules to show on-the-fly product customisations
- Created sites using custom content management system with Kohana MVC framework with calendar, photo gallery features
- Created survey and registration portal for interior/building construction contractors to obtain/renew licences
- Integrate shopping carts with payment gateways connected with Australian banks and PayPal
Web Developer, Copywriter, Customer Service - the Comic Shop
October 2005 - August 2009
- Designed and developed custom CMS built from ground up using PHP and MySQL, then rebuilt in 2014 to use Laravel 4
- Started relationships with film distributors to run cross-promotions and giveaways for comicbook, horror and animated movies
- Grew direct customer mailing list to 1,000 subscribers
- Casual in-store retail adventures behind the register
PHP Developer - Create Studios
- osCommerce modules, WordPress template skinning
- Both on-site in a fast-paced studio with occasional remote work
PHP Developer - Think Unthinkable
- Campaign mini-sites, server-to-server site migrations, HTML email skins
- On-site in a busy studio agency alongside a leading advertising firm
Preference is Git for version control. Sublime Text for code editing.
Currently developing on Linux and using Docker. Have worked on Mac and Windows.